First and foremost, you need experience with modern OOP in PHP. What kind of abstractions make sense, how do you structure and implement them? Can you properly use factories, adapters, decorators and whatnot where they make sense? That kind of thing.
- Experience with the most common tooling: Git, Composer, PhpStorm
- Ability to write modern, type-safe code
- Experience with at least one modern framework (Laravel or Symfony preferred). You should know how a modern framework generally works - front controller, routing, controller dispatch, views, DI etc.
- SQL. You'll mostly be working with ORMs or query builders, but decent SQL skills are a requirement.
Nice to have:
- Experience working with job and message queue
Bonus to have:
- Experience working with AWS Stacks, Elastic Stack, Redis, Docker
Less technical/non-technical stuff we look for:
- You need to be able to take a task, do research, present your findings, make and justify decisions, work on it independently, and deal with code review.
- You need to take responsibility for and ownership of code you write. Explain how it works and what it does (on a high level), even to non-technical people (sales, marketing)
- Ability to work with some kind of standardized workflow. Tickets, PRs, code reviews etc.